2017 APPLICATION PACKAGE
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
Yes, even rock stars have to sometimes live by the rules. These are the participation guidelines for all Law Rocks events within the United States. Please email us with any questions along the way. Scroll down and click 'Apply Now!' to submit your application.
Band Eligibility and Guidelines
- A majority of each band’s members must be legal professionals. This includes anyone who works for a law firm, a Court, a bar association, an in-house legal department, or is an arbitrator/mediator.
- Each band will be allowed one “ringer” (a professional musician) maximum.
- Not everyone in the band has to be from the same firm/company.
- There are a limited number of band openings available. In the case that more bands apply then can play, a commitment to fundraising will be the primary factor in determining acceptance.
- Final decisions regarding band member eligibility are determined by Law Rocks.
- All band entries are subject to approval by Law Rocks.
Commitment to Fundraising and Event Proceeds
- Each band must select a local nonprofit at least eight weeks prior to the show.
- Nonprofits must be 501c3 organizations.
- Designated nonprofits are subject to approval by Law Rocks.
- Each band must aim to achieve a minimum of $5,000 in fundraising between donations, ticket proceeds, and sponsorships.
- Law Rocks will reach out to each selected nonprofit and request their assistance in promoting the concert, as well as sending a representative to introduce the band.
- 100% of donations made via Law Rocks will be donated to the bands' designated nonprofits. Each band will have a crowdfunding web page to raise donations.
- Proceeds from ticket sales and sponsorships will cover the expense of the concert. All remaining proceeds will be donated to a local charity that supports the Law Rocks mission of promoting music education for underprivileged youth.
- Accepted bands will be requested to submit a 'poster' or 'album-style' band photo and brief band description to be used to promote the event. New for 2017! Law Rocks will provide an online Marketing Toolkit to aid in promotions.
Event Proceeds and Scoring
- The winner of the event will be the band with the highest total score. Scoring is divided into equal categories:
- 1/4 will be determined by each band’s donation total.
- 1/4 will be determined by each band's ticket and sponsorship total.
- 1/4 will be determined by audience voting.
- 1/4 will be determined by a Rock Panel of judges.
- The Rock Panel of Judges will score each band in three categories: technical ability, creativity, and audience participation.
- The band with the highest Rock Panel score will win the Judges' Choice Award.
Playing the Event
- A live emcee will preside over the competition.
- Lighting, sound, “back line” equipment, and production will be provided by Law Rocks.
- The concert will be professionally photographed and filmed; photos and videos will be sent to all participants.
- New for 2017! Each band is limited to one 20 minute set.
- New for 2017! Bands that surpass $5,000 in ticket proceeds and sponsorships will receive five extra minutes to play (25 minutes total).
- Accepted bands must submit a final playlist and final band roster to Law Rocks one month prior to the show.
- Song selection is on a 'first come, first served' basis.
- Each band’s final playlist will be subject to approval by Law Rocks.
- Order of Play
- New for 2017! Order of play will be determined two weeks prior to the event at 7pm local time.
- If the winner from the previous year is participating they have the first choice of slots.
- Any band(s) supported by a Hall of Fame sponsorship are given the opportunity to select next.
- New for 2017! The band with the highest combined fundraising AND ticket/sponsorship total will select their place in the order of play next; the band with the second highest will then choose and so on.
- Sound Check
- Sound check will be the afternoon of the concert, generally between 3-6pm.
- Bands sound check spots will be in reverse order of play.
- Law Rocks will try to accommodate requests due to scheduling conflicts.
- The winning band will play a one-song encore provided the band is present and there is enough time.